Sunday 1 May 2011

Bubblegum Ice Cream: Technicolour Wonderland

We live in an age of concern for the "goodness" of food, where we want natural colours and natural ingredients. We want our meat to have been reared so close it would have to have lived with us and we want our veg to look more like circus freaks than perfect wax facsimiles.

Although part of me is quite happy with the general gist of this movement as I myself am a little concerned about an ingredients lists reading like a maths equation, I can't help but find joy in something of the opposite extreme. Something so artificial... so abstracted away from our natural environment that it lights up my mind with thoughts of a fairytale world. A world without dirt, with clouds made of candy-floss and edible rainbows. I was awash with happiness upon seeing this little treasure in a Portuguese supermarket. Bubblegum Ice cream with the brightest most cheerful swirls. Just have a look at this:

I had no idea what it would taste like, I hoped for something powerful reminiscent of tales of things in Wonka's recipes.
The taste was amazing, stronger than I expected with what must be described as bubblegum. A bouquet of green bananas, violets, soap and cream with a powdery finish. 

Spooning into a bowl was fun too, creating my own marbled art work. The texture was lovely and foamy.
This badger was one hell of a find and it really is what childhood dreams are made of.

No comments:

Post a Comment